Adrenal fatigue testing involves a simple saliva or blood test
The practitioners at our alternative medicine clinic near Milwaukee perform adrenal fatigue testing if they suspect a patient is suffering from adrenal fatigue syndrome. Adrenal fatigue can cause chronic fatigue, headaches, dizziness, anxiety and depression. Conventional medicine doesn’t acknowledge this syndrome, so patients may suffer for months or even years before receiving a diagnosis.
Cortisol levels should always be tested as part of adrenal fatigue testing
Cortisol is the most important hormone tested during adrenal fatigue testing. A simple saliva test performed at home can determine cortisol levels. Cortisol is controlled by the hypothalamus, adrenal glands and pituitary gland. Cortisol receptors exist on almost every cell in the body. This hormone controls several important bodily processes.
- Balances blood sugar levels
- Reduces inflammation
- Produces lymphocytes, a type of white blood cell
- Impacts central nervous system functions that affect behavior and mood
- Contributes to weight gain
- Influences sex drive
When the body produces too much or too little cortisol, people can develop the symptoms of adrenal fatigue.
It’s helpful to test other hormone levels
Often, during adrenal fatigue testing, the practitioners at our alternative medicine clinic near Milwaukee suggest testing hormone levels, such as testosterone, DHEA, progesterone and aldosterone. Blood or saliva tests can also assess these hormone levels.
If cortisol or other hormone levels are abnormal, our practitioners can recommend hormone supplements. Our alternative medicine clinic provides patients with bioidentical hormones, which are molecularly identical to the hormones the body creates. The hormones are not synthetic because they are created from substances that exist in nature.
Lifestyle changes are also important
If adrenal fatigue testing results point to a diagnosis of adrenal fatigue, our practitioners recommend lifestyle changes to help patients improve their symptoms.
- Stress relief is very important. Yoga, meditation or alternative therapies are helpful.
- Improving nutrition habits can lead to symptom improvement.
- Exercise is helpful for overall health, fitness and can help with weight loss.
- A good night’s sleep is vital to recovery. In addition to taking hormone supplements, patients should avoid too much caffeine and develop a good sleep routine.
Adrenal fatigue testing is an important diagnostic tool. Unlike conventional medicine, our alternative medicine clinic near Milwaukee recognizes how adrenal fatigue affects patients’ quality of life. For testing, diagnosis and treatment, contact us.