In the Midwest summer is what we wait for all winter. We can’t wait to get outdoors and enjoy the sun, warm weather, swimming, biking, boating, hiking and of course outdoor grilling. The staff at Serenity Health Care Center wants to make sure you spend your summer months being safe but having as much fun as possible. Here are a few tips to keeping you and your family safe.
Master water safety
Water-related activities are popular in the Midwest it is a great way to getting our physical activity. Here are some tips to stay safe while having fun.
- Learn how to prevent recreational water illnesses our lakes and rivers are great sources to swim and boat in, but sometimes they carry bacteria that can cause illness. Watch for alerts about the Ecoli counts and if it is safe to swim in the location of your choice.
- If you feel ill with stomach pain, diarrhea, fever or chills, and sinus symptoms seek immediate medical attention because you could have been infected with bacteria.
Drownings are the leading cause of injury death for young children ages 1 to 4, and three children die every day as a result of drowning. These are tips that should be followed to protect your loved ones and others.
- Always supervise children when in or around water. A responsible adult should constantly have eyes on young children.
- Teach kids to swim at a young age. Use a formal swimming program to protect young children from drowning.
- Learn cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). Your CPR skills could save someone’s life.
- Install a four-sided fence around home pools.
Recreational boating can be a wonderful way to spend time with family and friends. Make boating safety a priority.
- Wear a properly fitted life jacket every time you and your loved ones are on the water.
- Watch for other boats especially when skiing or swimming.
- Check your boats operating equipment and make sure you have fire extinguishers on board and you know how to use them.