Regardless of what you are doing, a checklist is your friend. A checklist for doctor’s appointment is especially important. No one remembers everything. If you’re like most people, you remember things you want to ask at the oddest moments. A good checklist helps you cover the topics that you want while keeping the doctor informed.
Checklist for Doctor’s Appointment: Before
- Are you visiting a new doctor? Check online to learn what patients say about their experience. Lawsuits are public
information, so do your homework at your local county clerk’s office.
- List of medications (include dosage and frequency)
- New or update on existing symptoms
- Any health changes since last visit
- How health issues affect your life
- New treatments or medications that you want to discuss
Checklist for Doctor’s Appointment: During
- Your doctor may suggest a new procedure or medication for an existing health condition. Ask questions. Research it before you respond so that you can make an educated decision.
- What are the benefits?
- How long before you see results and how long do the results last?
- What is the downside of not having the procedure or taking the medication?
- How long has it been treatment or medication been available?
- How experienced is your doctor with the treatment or medication?
Checklist for Doctor’s Appointment: After
- If you’re facing a major procedure or questionable medication, get a second opinion before taking action.
- Research drugs and side effects on the FDA website. Google treatments to learn more about short and long-term results and side effects. Research before signing a consent form.
- Your doctor may have switched a medication or treatment for your general health. Jot down how it makes you feel throughout the day. This information can help your doctor refine and optimize your treatment.
Checklists became my allies after my husband was injured. They helped me navigate through the legal system, medical appointments, insurance and worker’s compensation. They helped keep me sane at a time when my life was hectic. Get my book, The Dark Side of Injury, for more complete checklists and tools to help your family plot a route.