How allergies affect your health
Your immune system is designed to fight against invasive organisms that may harm you or cause an illness. When you have allergies, your body’s immune system thinks that harmless organisms, antigens such as pollen or pet dander, are harmful. Your body reacts by producing immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibodies. IgE antibodies send a signal to your cells to release a substance called histamine. Along with other chemicals, this is what causes allergic reactions.
These reactions can cause mild, moderate or severe symptoms. In some cases, they may be life-threatening.
Types of allergies
A variety of allergens cause different types of allergies.
- Seasonal allergies are caused by pollen produced by various plants, flowers and trees.
- Mold allergies are caused by mold spores. Toxic mold causes allergies and illnesses.
- Food allergies are caused by proteins in foods such as cow’s milk, fish, eggs, shellfish, wheat and peanuts.
- Pet allergies are caused by allergens in fur and saliva.
- Insect sting allergies are caused by the venom injected during stings.
Your symptoms are dictated by the type of allergens you have. We can find out what you are allergic to by taking a thorough medical history, performing a physical examination and by performing allergy testing. If you are experiencing ongoing allergy symptoms, you should contact our natural medicine clinic near Milwaukee.
- Nasal congestion
- Itchy eyes, nose, roof of the mouth
- Red, watery, swollen eyes
- Itchy skin, rash, hives
- Tingling sensation in the mouth
- Swelling of the tongue, lips, throat or face
The most severe and dangerous reaction to allergies is anaphylaxis. This life-threatening reaction occurs due to food allergies, insect allergies, medication allergies or any severe reaction to an allergen. If you or someone you are with is experiencing symptoms of anaphylaxis, call 911 immediately.
- Serious breathing difficulties
- Severely low blood pressure
- Loss of consciousness
Our natural medicine clinic near Milwaukee provides an integrative approach to allergies, as well as your overall health. Don’t ignore your allergies—contact us today for help and information.