Gluten Free Tortillas
MAKES 6-8 TORTILLAS
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup potato starch
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup fava bean flour
- 2 TBS vegetable or other shortening
- 2 tsps xanthan gum
- 3/4 to 1 cup warm water
- Combine all of the dry ingredients, then cut in or work in the shortening using a pastry blender or two knives or your hand.
- Add the warm water, starting with 3/4 cup and mix well.
- Continue to add water until a soft, cohesive dough is formed.
- Heat a comal, tapa or griddle to medium heat.
- Then, form a ball of dough into a flattened disk, cupping the outside edges a bit to form a round.
- Using a bollilo or rolling pin, roll into a round disk about 1/8 inch thick and about 8 inches in diameter or to your preference.
- Bake one at a time on a hot griddle until the surface bubbles. Turn only once, the first side should have brown flecks. Bake until the second side has slightly browned – should brown in a very short time.
- Keep warm in a tortilla keeper or wrapped in a cloth until served.
Note: Will freeze in a sealed plastic bag for up to three months.