We take the time to treat menopause with compassion and care
Menopause is a time of change that actually begins with perimenopause. Perimenopause is the transitional period that can last between eight to 12 years before menopause, the time when a woman stops menstruating. At our functional medicine clinic near Milwaukee, we help women make this important transition so they can enjoy a good quality of life.
We think it’s important to listen to women – to let them tell us their story – so we can work with them to heal their body and offer a natural way to help them feel better.
Symptoms of menopause
Menopause is different for every woman. Some women experience severe symptoms, while others notice little change after a shift in hormone balance. A woman may experience one or more of the symptoms listed below, particularly after having a drop in estrogen.
- Hot flashes, which can be brief or long, and may occur as often as several times a day.
- Sleep issues, including insomnia and night sweats
- Emotional issues, including brain fog and mood swings
- Issues with sex, including reduced libido and vaginal dryness
- Weight gain
At our functional medicine clinic near Milwaukee, we treat every woman as an individual and tailor our therapy to treat her menopausal symptoms.
We take an individualized approach to hormone therapy for menopause
Since the 1930s, hormone therapy has been recommended as a treatment for menopause, particularly during the past 30 years. The hormones that physicians in conventional medicine use are synthetic hormones, which have presented problems.
- In the 1970s, researchers discovered that the synthetic estrogen physicians were using to treat menopause increased a woman’s risk for uterine cancer.
- In 2002, the Women’s Health Initiative study of combined synthetic hormone therapy (combining estrogen and progestin), was shown to increase the risk of breast cancer. As a result, many women shied away from hormone therapy altogether, which caused many of them to suffer a decreased quality of life.
At our functional medicine clinic near Milwaukee, we use bioidentical hormones, instead of synthetic hormones, to treat the symptoms of menopause. These hormones are made from wild yam and are chemically the same as what your own body produces. These natural hormones help prevent many side effects that women experience when taking synthetics. They also allow for a flexible application of doses, which are individualized for each patient.
At our functional medicine clinic near Milwaukee, we have the tools and the skills needed to help you make the transition to menopause and beyond. There’s no need to suffer through this natural transitional phase of life. Contact us today for an appointment.