Gluten Free Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits
Also known as baking soda biscuits, these buttery morsels are delicious on their own or can be used to make the perfect gluten-free strawberry shortcakes.
MAKES 12 BISCUITS
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- ½ cup sweet white rice flour
- ½ cup white rice flour
- ½ cup potato starch
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1½ teaspoons xanthan gum
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, *cut into bits
- 1½ cups buttermilk*
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Grease a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, combine the tapioca flour, sweet rice flour, white rice flour, potato starch, cornstarch, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt. Stir with a whisk to blend.
- Using your fingers, a pastry blender, or two dinner knives, rub or cut the shortening and butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is coarse and crumbly. Add the buttermilk and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Drop ¼-cup mounds of dough 2 inches apart on the prepared pan. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Serve warm.
* TIP For dairy-free biscuits, replace 4 tablespoons butter with 4 tablespoons dairy-free margarine or non-dairy buttery spread. Make dairy-free buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar or cider vinegar to 1½ cups milk of choice (rice, soy, hemp, nut). Proceed with recipe instructions.