Chicken Stock – Gluten Free Recipe
MAKES 2 QUARTS
Simmer chicken (or beef or other animal protein) with vegetables is the basis for homemade stock. Add vinegar or lemon juice, the mineral extracts from the bones, creates an easy-to-digest, nutrient-rich stock.
- 3-3½ pounds chicken pieces, mostly backs and wings, rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 carrots cut into large chunks
- Handful fresh parsley stems and/ or thyme sprigs
- 3 celery stalks, cut into large chunks
- ½ teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 large white onions, quartered
- ½ teaspoon whole cloves
- 3 quarts of cold water
- 2 tablespoons vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
- Place chicken and vegetables in a large stockpot over medium heat. Pour enough cold water to cover chicken. Add vinegar, bay leaf, parsley/thyme, peppercorns and cloves.
- Slowly bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and gently simmer for at least 2 to 2 hours, partially covered. Slow cooking assures clear stock. While the stock cooks, occasionally skim off any impurities that rise to the surface.
- Remove stock from the heat. Remove chicken and vegetable pieces and discard.
- Strain stock through a fine sieve removes the solids. Season with salt to taste.